We all have our dirty little secrets, right? Those quirks and habits we try to keep to ourselves for fear of how people would look at you if they knew.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. What could I possibly have to reveal that I haven’t already? After all, I’ve done a fairly good job of plastering my personal life (& that of basically everyone I know) all over the blogosphere. In some cases, I’ve probably over-shared. Okay, maybe in most cases. But, I assure you, I’ve kept a few things in reserve.
Why this sudden desire? I guess you can blame the whole New Year, new attitude craze. I didn’t make any formal resolutions, but I did make a few promises to myself. One of them was to be true to “me.” And the only way to do that is to embrace rather than eschew all those little quirks and flaws that make me who I am.
So, in the interest of full disclosure, here are 25 things most people don’t know about me.
1. Singing along to the radio is almost a compulsion for me and, quite frankly, it doesn’t matter whether I know the words. I don’t really care if I have an audience, so it’s not the singing I’m embarrassed about. No, my dirty little secret is that I’m completely incapable of remembering the title of any song. Ditto for who sings it. And the worst part is that – for whatever reason – I’m insecure about it. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about someone quizzing me.
2. Speaking of music, I might as well reveal this embarrassing little fact as well. I’m a huge fan of Katy Parry. AND Taylor Swift. Phew. Feels good to get that off my chest!
3. Everyone has movies they love to watch over and over again. “You’ve Got Mail,” with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, is one of mine. I’ve also previously admitted to having seen “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” so many times that I knew every single word of dialog, and every musical number. But there’s another movie I can’t pass up watching. “White Chicks.” I just can’t help myself. It cracks me up every single time.
4. It’s no secret that I love to read. Fiction is my preferred diversion, and I’m a huge fan of the literary classics. I also happen to have an obsession with chick lit, particularly of the paranormal variety. But I have an even guiltier pleasure: romance novels. I was practically weaned on Harlequin Romances, which I used to filch from my mom’s collection without her knowledge. While I don’t read them any more, there is one romance author to whom I remain undyingly faithful. Jude Deveraux.
5. Literary confession #2: Another of my favorite authors? Clive Cussler.
6. Literary confession #3: I’ve never read Little Women. Shocking, I know!
7. I can’t whistle.
8. I was 18 before I learned how to light a lighter.
9. Sometimes I still have trouble using keys.
10. My entire body is ticklish.
11. I am physically unable to tuck in a shirt.
12. I’m incredibly insecure about my ankles. And my earlobes.
13. I’m probably the only female between the ages of 18 and 65 to go to New Orleans for New Years and not “win” any beads.
14. Thus far in my life I have I have avoided showering in a communal setting. And I’d like to keep it that way.
15. I cannot work out without brushing my teeth first. I have no idea why.
16. I have some weird sensitivity to echinacea. Other people take it to ward off colds, but it kind of makes me hallucinate.
17. I’m allergic to Keflex, the antibiotic they usually give to people who are allergic to everything else.
18. My friends watch me like a hawk around pineapple. I developed an allergy to this wonderful tropical fruit while I was in college, but sometimes I choose to forget that fact. Particularly when faced with a frosty tropical cocktail. Breathing is overrated, right?
19. I’ve been to China, but never to Pitcher.
20. You never, ever want to play Trivial Pursuit with me.
21. I know far too much about bowling. (Although you’d never know it by the way I bowl.)
22. I have a general disdain for people who can’t discern the difference between butter and margarine. Ditto, between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip. And I thoroughly distrust anyone who professes not to like chocolate. That’s just simply unnatural.
23. I’ve only been to two big concerts in my life.
24. I’m ever-so-slightly claustrophobic, but my big fear is to be stranded in the middle of the ocean. Or, God forbid, trapped under the ocean.
25. I’ve got the neediest little ego and am still secretly thrilled whenever someone, anyone makes mention of something I’ve written.
Follow me on Twitter … @evesunmelissa.